Maritime Capability and Capacity Building
Head of Cooperation and
Capability Building Desk
With the establishment of the ‘Cooperation and Capability Building Desk’ within the Somaliland Coast Guard organisation an authoritative focal point has been created for establishing and maintaining contact with external donor organisations providing Capability / Capacity Building for the Coast Guard. It has been given the remit to advise, coordinate and streamline the various initiatives for coordination, cooperation and assistance where these pertain to enhancing the administrative, operational and logistic capability of the Coast Guard.
One of the mechanisms to achieve donor coordination and the prioritisation of external donor Capability / Capacity Building initiatives is the periodic Coordination and Capability Building meeting. Its purpose is to bring together international donors with the aim to match the Coast Guard’ (demand driven) requirements for Capability and Capacity Building with the available offers for assistance and advice; and sequence and coordinate these offers to maximum effect.
The principle organisations involved with Maritime Capacity Building, and their key areas of support are listed below.
Suggestions for maritime capacity and capability building initiatives can be addressed to:
Captain (Retired) Abdullah Omer Kawden (email@example.com) Tel: +252 634472712
Marco Hekkens (firstname.lastname@example.org) Tel: +252 633607663
EUCAP Nestor key areas of Maritime Capacity Building are:
- Headquarters and Force Structure Review and development of Manning Lists for all organisational units
- Mentoring, Teaching and Training (MTT) of Headquarters Staff and key personnel
- Practical and theoretical aspects of Search and Rescue operations
- Developing the ‘Vision for the Future Somaliland Coast Guard’
- Advising and assisting in the development of legal frameworks
- Planning and Coordination of ‘Local Maritime Capacity Building’ activities by visiting ships (EUNAVFOR)
- Contribute to the establishment of a Somaliland National Maritime Authority (NMA)
- Implement projects that encourage ownership and are self-sustainable
UNODC key areas of Maritime Capacity Building are:
- UNODC contributes to Capacity Building with Mentors that predominately operate from the Coast Guard Base in Berbera
- Specific areas that are being addressed are seamanship, boat handling, operational procedures; and a broad range of engineering aspects with a strong focus on equipment husbandry and maintenance
- Within capacity UNODC contributes to the improvement of the infrastructure of the Coast Guard Base and jetty area; and enhancement of operational effectiveness through – for instance – extensive materiel donations, such as spare parts, communications and IT equipment
Other Actors that support the Coast Guard
-Support infrastructure development, most notably the construction of a new Headquarters building in Hargeisa
-Support Maritime Capacity Building through periodic training by 'Short Term Training Teams', often in combination with a port visit for extended duration
Text to follow
MAG (Mines Advisory Group)
-MAG contributes by building and/or refurbishing armouries and providing expert advise on the storage and safe handling of weapons and ammunitions
Local Maritime Capacity Building
Local Maritime Capacity Building (LMCB) is a term used by EUNAVFOR for training in support of and in coordination with, the EU maritime capacity building mission EUCAP Nestor. LMCB combines training, both theoretical and practical, and proves highly effective and serves to enhance the mutual trust and understanding between the European Union and regional maritime forces and Coast Guards. Interpreter support is a valuable tool to ensure knowledge is passed properly and context sensitive.
Where possible, LMCB programmes are combined with Key leader Engagement (at the senior and political level) and Local Leader Engagement.
KLE on-board HNLMS Johan de Witt during LMCB in Berbera on 24 – 25 April 2015
Ministry of Interior,
Republic of Somaliland
©2015-2017SOMALILAND COAST GUARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Somaliland Coast Guard HQ
Republic of Somaliland
Telephone: +252 634005163
Designed by cabaas Saleeban